Pages

Friday 25 October 2013

CEDT - Meet Kerry Hickton

Creative Expressions Design Team - Meet the Team

NameKerry Hickton (aka Kezzy)
 

Here is a photo of one of the projects Kerry submitted to us as part of her CEDT application:-



About Kerry:
I started crafting after I had a nervous breakdown. I asked my partner to nip to a stationery shop and grab some colour tissue and card so I could do some Easter cards with the kids. I couldn't go out at the time and really wanted the kids to still enjoy Easter.  When he came back he had proper blank cards and embellishments with sentiments and I was completely smitten. I made all the cards in the end as the kids went out with their dad and I played with my new found hobby. My first crafty outing was to the large store Hobbycraft, and the rest is history.

I work part time as an accountant, due to back problems a lot of my work is at home and less time at the office.  I love working part time as now I have plenty of time to play! My children are 14 and 16 so don’t actually craft much. My daughter loves to draw and I have taught her some shading techniques, but at almost 17 (and having just started college), she knows it all lol!  I have to admit having two teenagers in the house can be interesting sometimes: they have more opinions now, but they have social lives and interests which does give me more time in the craft room, but I do miss those kiddy times J

The thing I have loved most about crafting is the journey: learning the many techniques is like visiting amazing cities around the world for the first time. Each time I use a new technique I feel overwhelmed with happiness, as if I was looking in awe at an historic building.  I absolutely love to share everything I do, remembering that once I was a beginner eagerly looking for inspiration from others. And, like any journey, I want more: I want to do more and bring my bloggy friends for the ride. J I find lots of inspiration from outings and flowers as the colours are truly amazing, I also love to blog and find inspiration from others and Pinterest is awesome.  During my time with Creative Expressions, I am hoping to share lots of wonderful textured projects and most of all have lots of fun creating J

My love at the moment is definitely mixed media, I love colour (favourite being orange and blues) and lots of texture, I love to be able to feel my project and the more bumps it has the happier I am. I also love to colour with different mediums especially distress markers/ink pads and alcohol pens.  I think my favourite technique will always be with distress as I still love how water reacts and also heat embossing with my cosmic UTEE, the colours are so gorgeous that I still never get bored of them.  I also learnt to crochet this year and, during the times of bad back, I love to get comfy on the sofa with some gorgeous cotton yarn.  I do like crochet flowers etc. so they do find themselves being sprayed or painted for a project. In my spare time I like to make jewellery and at the moment I am experimenting changing textured mixed media items into my jewellery making.  I also love to read and my favourite authors are James Patterson and Michael Connelly.

I tend never to eat when I craft, I used to but once I was having a go with a canvas whilst nibbling on a biscuit and without noticing I got crumbs that managed to get glued onto the canvas which looked awful, I did try and include them as texture, but I had this awful dread that it would end up getting mouldy lol.  I do like to have my cuppa upstairs but from past experience I now leave it on my computer desk as whilst on my craft desk many times I have gone to have a swig and found paint brushes into it!!!  I don’t think I could live without my cutting knife, distress and heat tool as I could probably do most things with them alone from items around the house.  If my house was on fire I would try and save all my paints, distress, Grand Caliber, cutting dies, jewellery, patterned paper ……. I think I need to start keeping a few black bags in my craft room just in case.

A random fact about me would be I used to do amateur dramatics on stage at a local theatre until just before my breakdown. I have never gone back to acting as I much prefer to create, so now instead of acting I occasionally help with making props etc for shows.

If you want to see more of Kerry's creative designs, then visit her blog and FOLLOW HER at www.kezzyscraftyjourney.blogspot.com 

Welcome to the team Kerry - can't wait to see what amazing creations you have up your sleeve for us!!!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard Kerry, looking forward to creating alongside you. Hope you have a fabulous journey and I am looking forward to seeing your creations that you share. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to work with such an amazing company, my first ever stamp was a wooden creative expressions stamp. I'm so excited to share my creations with you all and so looking forward to working with a fabulous design team members :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome aboard lovely to learn more about you and look forward to creating alongside you xx hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you Kerry and look forward to working with you. Kim x x

    ReplyDelete