Pages

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Meet the Team week three - Gillian Simson

It's Wednesday, which means it's time to meet another member of the Creative Expressions Design Team and find out a little about what makes them tick. This week we would like to introduce DT member Gillian Simson...

1. Introduce yourself briefly...
Hi everyone, I'm Gillian. I live on the North-East coast of Scotland with my husband (the most patient man in the world!), one teenage son and a mad Labrador called Sam (now six!). I'm very fortunate to have a job I love! I work as a manager in an Older Peoples Day Care Resource Centre.

DT Member Gillian Simson
2. How did you get into crafting?
Whilst recovering from illness way back in the late 90's I bought a card making kit from a well known TV shopping channel, I was hooked immediately! The rest, as they say, is history...

3. How would you describe your style?
I love vintage style crafting, absolutely anything distressed or grungy!

4. Where do you draw inspiration from?
I love working with quirky stamp designs. Wendy Vecchi's Studio 490 range always sets my cogs ticking! I also love to include texture within my work... whether that be by layering embellishments or using Gesso through stencils. I love the freedom of working on alterable items such as paper mache, wooden items and lasered chipboard.

5. What's your favourite technique right now?
My fave and most used is the Spritz and Flick technique, closely followed by Riveted Patchwork. 

6. What's your favourite colour?
I always tend to reach for blue and I love turquoise tones. My favourite "go to" Distress Inks to reach for right now are Peacock Feathers and Weathered Wood!
A bright Steampunk Christmas Decoration by Gillian: made using Sam Poole's Steampunk Christmas stamp set
7. What do you like to snack on whilst crafting?
Most of the time I'm way too engrossed in what I'm doing to eat, but if something isn't going to plan I reach for the chocolate...

8. What do you do when you're not crafting?
Spend way too much time on social networking sites! However at the moment I'm studying, so if I'm not crafting I have my head stuck in books!

9. Tell us a random fact about yourself...
I have never tasted coffee!

10. What craft tool couldn't you live without?
My paper trimmer, it's invaluable!

11. If your house was on fire, what's the first thing you would save from your craft room?
Oh now that is a tough question! Just one thing? Really?? It would have to be my collection of stamps!


You can take a look at more fabulous projects from Gillian, including her Creative Expressions DT projects, on her blog here

Next Wednesday (24th Oct) we'll be meeting another member of the Creative Expressions DT, so be sure to check back here then!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to read more about you Gillian, we have similar tastes re our favourite tools and style etc. great to have you on the team. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article...nice to 'know you' Gillian!!! Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gillian, great to get to know you! Fab answers! Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to read your answers and be on the team with you! Trace x
    Love those techniques too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to read all about you - look forward to seeing more of your design work
    Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been taking a look at your blog Gillian and love your creations.
    Jean xx

    ReplyDelete